I love chicken salad. Most chicken salads that you get elsewhere are made with nasty, category garbage mayo, non-organic grapes/celery (these are dirty dozen so I always buy organic), as well as other miscellaneous, unheard of ingredients. I love to make my own because I have control over the type of mayo I purchase and how much I use, as well as ensuring the celery and grapes are organic. This is so yummy. It’s great to bring to the beach and eat with some fresh organic spinach. It’s also super easy. So here is the recipe:
- 6 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded and cooled slightly (place chicken in a large pot of water, bring to boil and allow to boil for about 15 mins or so until internal temp is at 160. Then drain the water and shred with two forks – this is easiest while hot)
- 4 stalks organic celery, rinsed and chopped
- 1.5 cups organic grapes, chopped in half
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (be sure no preservatives were added or you can buy fresh raw almonds and slice them yourself)
- a few tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of mayo (I like Sir Kensington brand – either the regular or the vegan; both are fairly clean and I allow myself to eat in moderation).
- Salt, pepper, paprika
This is so easy all you do is add your ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Serve on top of organic spinach. Makes ~8 servings. Note that this mayo may say it has organic sugar but the nutrition facts state it has 0 grams of sugar. So, it must be so little that it does not even register.
So I have decided that just about ANY “unclean” recipe can be made clean and/or “paleo” if you try! This Caesar dressing is delicious and it’s SO clean. If you pick up a conventional Caesar dressing at the grocery store you will likely find AWFUL ingredients such as sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, canola oil (inflammatory oil), artificial sweeteners, thickeners, ETC.! You definitely do not want to be consuming those ingredients because over time they will wreak havoc on your health and contribute to weight gain, bloating, overall inflammation of the body, digestive issues, and potentially cancers, heart disease, high cholesterol, the list goes on and on! Those ingredients also just make you feel lousy which is why it’s my passion to eat clean and prepare all of my meals.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAESAR DRESSING:
- 1 cup high quality olive oil (organic OR the brand I currently use, California Olive Ranch)
- 2 egg yolks, whisked
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-10 anchovy filets (about 1 small can)
- Juice of 1.5 – 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Black pepper, to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 organic head of romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1-2 roma tomatoes, rinsed and chopped (organic if possible)
Place everything EXCEPT the olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blend/pulse for about a minute, or until everything is blended. Shouldn’t take long. Then add the olive oil in last, gently mixing it all together. The dressing should make about 8-10 servings.
For the salad, simply place all chopped ingredients in a bowl and add desired amount of dressing. Toss and serve! I even seared some grass-fed sirloin steak on the stove for 2-3 minutes per side, sliced it up and put that on top, per image below. You could top this salad with anything your heart desires!